New hard drive, boot camp restore?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Eallan, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Eallan macrumors 6502

Hey guys I replaced my 160gb with a 320. I initially had windows XP on a ~25gb partition and some apps I need with it. I used VMware to boot into this, and honestly it worked better than I could have hoped.

I'm trying to figure out how to go about restoring the windows partition. I have it backed up in two places and haven't had any luck restoring it through disk Utility or carbon copy cloner.

Any recommendations?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

hook up your old hard drive to your Mac somehow whether it be in your hard drive bay if its a tower or otherwise in an external case, partition your new hard drive using Disk Utility and format as NTFS and then restore your Windows partition from your old hard drive.

3. Eallan thread starter macrumors 6502

I have tried that and haven't had any luck at all...

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Search NTFS for Mac.

Disk Utility cannot format NTFS (due to licensing issues).

You should also get WinClone.

5. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

+1 for Winclone

6. durija macrumors 6502

I think it's too late for Winclone. He already took the old drive out and put the new one in...unless. If the old drive is intact, you could put it in an enclosure and then use Winclone to make a proper backup, from which you could recreate your Windows partition on the new drive. Otherwise, you're going to have to reinstall Windows and all the apps. The backups you have are only good for the data files.