New hard drive - Cloning puzzle?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by petercockroach, Nov 28, 2007.

1. petercockroach macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I just got a new HDD and I'm trying to clone my old drive on to. The problem is that I ordered an adapter and they sent me an IDE one instead of a SATA...doh...

So I'm currently using Carbon Copy Cloner to back up to my USB external. Problem is, how do I get this back on to the new drive?? I don't think I can boot off the USB on my Macbook and I couldn't find a bootable copy of CCC. I'm considering an Ubuntu LiveCD but I don' think that will work because it won't format the drive in the Mac Journaled format. I'm pretty stumped here...can anyone thing of anything??

Thanks!

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone of your internal on the external, install your new internal, do a fresh install of Leopard/Tiger on it, keeping the external plugged in. When it asks you if you have another Mac (or another drive), say yes. Migration Assistant will recognize the bootable external HD and will migrate everything.

3. petercockroach thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried running Migration Assistant earlier and it did not recognize the external drive. This could be because CCC is still running...but are you sure it will read?

4. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

it needs to be a completed, bootable clone. Wait till CCC is finished and test the clone by selecting it as your boot drive in System Preferences.

I just ran Leopard's migration assistant off an external USB clone of Tiger the other day.

5. petercockroach thread starter macrumors newbie