new hard drive, disk utility problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Good-Apollo, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Good-Apollo macrumors newbie

Hello,

I recently bought a new 320 gig hard drive for my white MacBook 13" - as the original 80 gig hard drive is proving rather small. I followed the the instructions on replacing the hard drive, and loaded up the OSX installation disc, the only problem is that Disk Utility doesn't recognise the new hard disk, however, if I go into System Profiler, it shows up under Serial ATA as my primary hard disk.

I have tried taking it out and putting it back in again but to no avail, i've since put my old hard drive back in and its loaded fine (i'm using this at the moment).

I understand that the new drive would need to be formatted but the only way this seems possible to do it is by reformatting it via Disk Utility.

any ideas or help would be appreciated?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Bizarre. If all of the connections are right, sounds like the drive itself might be a dud. I can think of one thing to try before you return it, though. With the new disk connected and the installer running, open Terminal (under the Utilities menu) and type

ls /Volumes

Let me know what results you get...

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Can you elaborate on this? When you boot up the Installation DVD you should select your language. After that, you should launch Disk Utility from the menu bar, at which point the drive should show up in the left pane. Click on the drive (and not any partition name that would be right below the drive and indented) to activate the Partition tab of Disk Utility. From that tab, choose the number of partitions you want from the pull-down menu (usually just one partition), then click the Options button and ensure GUID partition table is selected. After that, initialize the drive, quit Disk Utility and proceed with the OS installation.

4. Good-Apollo thread starter macrumors newbie

.Trashes ._. Trashes Mac OS X Install Disc 1

thats all it says

5. Good-Apollo thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure, when I launch the installation disk, after i've selected my language and agreed to the license, it says 'where would you like to install OS X' - and nothing is displayed there - so I goto UTILITIES -> DISK UTILITY with the intention of formatting/partitioning but the only thing that is displayed in the list is my CD Drive

However, if I goto UTILITIES -> SYSTEM PROFILER and scroll down to Serial-ATA - it shows my hard drive as connected (WD320 etc)

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

What is the make and model of your new drive? Do you have an external enclosure or universal drive adapter (USB2) that you can connect it to to see if you can initialize it as an external drive?

7. Good-Apollo thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a Western Digital 320GB Scorpio Blue - bought it from Play.com for £49.99 and it had over 100 reviews saying how good it was, I did think about trying it in an external enclosure, but I don't have one for a 2.5 drive, and tbh if it works in an enclosure but not from boot id be skeptical about using it for my main hard drive incase it fails on me...

the only other thing I thought it could be, is that its been damaged in transit, as it arrived in a cardboard box, but then everyone else on play.com's reviews have said how its arrived there fine etc

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

That drive should work just fine. It sounds as if something is amiss with it - you're unable to put it in an external enclosure? That would tell for certain what might be wrong. If you have a 3.5" enclosure it should still work, provided it's SATA on the internal interface. You could then Carbon Copy Clone your current drive to the new external, then boot from it using the Option key at startup. You'd know for sure if it's the drive then.

9. Good-Apollo thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i've ordered a 2.5 hard drive from play.com (same time as the hard drive funnily enough - but its not arrived yet) so I could always try that and see how it goes - ill report back once i've done that! - thanks CaveMan