new hard drive for macbook - how to proceed?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by foulmouthedleon, Feb 19, 2009.

1. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

So yes, I did write in another thread where I bought a new Seagate 7200 HDD for my HP laptop and my nvidia Macbook (two different drives, not one for both obviously), but they arrive tomorrow. Before I delve into them, wanted to see what exactly needed to be done?

Neither my Mac or PC have much information on them and any pertinent info. I'll transfer to an external HDD. I know how to replace the HDD, but then what? Do I just plug the new HDD in and boot it up with the Leopard restore disc in (and the Vista restore disc in my HP) and it'll do the rest? I'd like to think it's that easy, but something tells me it won't be.

Any ideas or suggestions would be most appreciated - many thanks!

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Pretty much, yeah.

Plug in the new HDD, reassemble the MB, and then boot up putting the Leopard DVD in. You may have to hold down "C" while booting to force the computer to boot from the optical drive.

After that, you'll just need to format the HDD as HFS+Journaled and install the OS.

In my experience, the Vista installation should be exactly the same, except you'll want to format the HP's HDD to NTFS.

3. foulmouthedleon thread starter macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon