Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

llee8820

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
I just bought a new hard drive for my macbook and came in today. The combo came with the hard drive and a enclosure case. I want to keep all my files from my old hard drive, and want to transfer my files to the new hard drive. I don't have any other external hard drive to back up my files.
Here is my question. Can I place my old hard drive in the external enclosure case I got, and put the new one in my macbook, so that I could boot leopard from my old hard drive in the external closure and use a superduper! (or other programs) to make a exact copy of my hard drive into my new one in the macbook. Of course I would first partition the new hard drive, but I'm just not sure if I can boot leopard off my old hard drive in the external enclosure. Thanks.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I've not used SuperDuper, but Carbon Copy Cloner will do the job. Just make sure that when you initialize your new drive you partition it with GUID, otherwise you won't be able to boot your MacBook from it.

Once cloned, it would be a good idea to boot from it while it's still in the enclosure - just to verify the cloning worked properly. Then do the transplant.

llee8820

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
I've not used SuperDuper, but Carbon Copy Cloner will do the job. Just make sure that when you initialize your new drive you partition it with GUID, otherwise you won't be able to boot your MacBook from it.

Once cloned, it would be a good idea to boot from it while it's still in the enclosure - just to verify the cloning worked properly. Then do the transplant.

You seemed to have misunderstood. I am not doing any transplant. Here is what I'm doing.
1) Put old hard drive into external enclosure
2) Put new hard drive into macbook
3) Boot off old hard drive ( in external enclosure), partition new hard drive (in macbook) and copy hard drive files using superduper! or Carbon cloner etc. to new hard drive (in macbook).
4) Delete everything off my old hard drive (in external enclosure) and use that has a external hard drive from now on.

My question is will this process work?

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
You seemed to have misunderstood. I am not doing any transplant. Here is what I'm doing.
1) Put old hard drive into external enclosure
2) Put new hard drive into macbook
3) Boot off old hard drive ( in external enclosure), partition new hard drive (in macbook) and copy hard drive files using superduper! or Carbon cloner etc. to new hard drive (in macbook).
4) Delete everything off my old hard drive (in external enclosure) and use that has a external hard drive from now on.

My question is will this process work?
Yes, that will work as long as your new drive is a 2.5" SATA. Carbon Copy Cloner can make an exact bootable copy of your old drive.

Cave Man

macrumors 604

I understand what you are trying to do. Yes, it will work, but it is more risky to do it your way. It is less risky to clone your internal drive to the new drive first, verify that you can boot from the clone while it's still in the enclosure, then replace your old drive with the new one.

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
I understand what you are trying to do. Yes, it will work, but it is more risky to do it your way. It is less risky to clone your internal drive to the new drive first, verify that you can boot from the clone while it's still in the enclosure, then replace your old drive with the new one.

I use the same procedure and works perfectly.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
If Disk Utility is defaulting to GUID on initialization then everything is good. It's just a precaution so that you don't go through the cloning process only to find out that the drive was initialized as APM or MBR. That would suck on a MB.

And it will work as described; however, it just seems a little more riskier.

pcbattjr

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Help

Hello,

I used CCC to copy my current hd into a new hd and once restarted all of the files are exactly in place, and everything is in iTunes, iPhoto etc. The problem I am having is everything is VERY sluggish. Power up / down is fine, but loading programs is slow, I have to click several times and some other issues along those lines.

Has anyone experienced this / know of a solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.