New hard drive for mid-2007 iMac??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by shaiboyuk, Sep 23, 2012.

1. shaiboyuk macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a mid-2007 iMac with the stock 250gb hard drive. I'm doing a bit of HD video editting and this hard drive is way too small. So does anyone know if I can put a 1tb drive in it, and if so what brand or model?

Also how easy it is to upgrade myself ?

Thanks for any advice

Cheers
    Shaiboyuk aka Paul

2. shaiboyuk thread starter macrumors newbie

3. shaiboyuk thread starter macrumors newbie

so by the lack of reply, I take it no one knows or has every upgraded an iMac hard drive in this forum?!?!?

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

type this into Google: replace hard drive mid 2007 imac

There's a lot of guides and videos out there that give the process from start to finish and what to watch out for.

5. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

Sorry for not replying earlier, but I was working!

I did the HDD upgrade for 2008 C2D 2.4GHz iMac8,1 with no probs.

I bought a Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen F2 1.5TB SATA II 3.5-Inch Hard Drive (32MB Cache, 5400 RPM, 3 Year Warranty, OEM) I paid £50 squid for it, so it's criminal for Amzn to ask more than ninety for it now! maybe Scan.co.uk or another trendy UK hardware place might get you a better price? .....There were floods but that was quite a while ago.

You could certainly stuff in a terabyte faster 7200 RPM disk if you can find one that has a similar thermal profile.

• Be careful with tiny microphone wires etc,
    • don't get any dust inside the magnetised glass/screen assembly,
    • DO have a dyson around to (very!)gently hoover-up the human dust that will be all over the insides of your iMac.
    • Remember to fit the heat sensor from the old HDD to the new HDD.
    • I took an A3 piece of paper, drew a quick lifesize iMac on it, then sellotaped each screw that I removed into the correct place on the paper - so that I had a chance to reassemble everything in the right order.

To make your iMac7,1 snappier you might consider fitting a Samsung 830 128GB SATA III Solid State HDD (which will run at SATA II speeds) instead of a rotary mechanical device. This is £80!
    You'd then need an external Firewire 400 AV or USB disk at a pinch for the video mass storage. You should also make sure you have got to the maximum 2GB+4GB RAM for your iMac, if it will take it?

6. MacSince1990 macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

Any 3.5" SATA drive will work. Except maybe a raptor as it'd be pretty hot =P

----------

If you're doing editing, you do want a 7200 RPM drive.

Btw, "Solid State HDD" is an oxymoron ;)

7. farmboy macrumors 6502a

farmboy

I just did a HD replacement on a 2007 iMac in January, using a 500GB from MacSales / OWC. Don't know about 1TB drives as suitable but OWC does help you sort that out as to what's compatible with that model. I have used just about all the major brand drives and I can't honestly say I've noticed a difference; they all work / fail at about the same rate.

There are some nice YT videos on this exact process. If you can wield a couple of phillips screwdrivers and torx (magnetized is better), a couple of suction cups, and don't panic at the thought of what havoc you could wreak, it's really pretty easy. Steady and methodical is the way to go, and double check all your cable and wire connections. Took me about 45 minutes, but I was exploring, too.