New Hard Drive for my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BrianStoiber, Nov 25, 2008.

1. BrianStoiber macrumors member

I am looking at a 500GB hard drive for my MacBook pro and I wanted to check to make sure this will work/fit in the drive enclosure.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?edc=1436451&enkwrd=ALLPROD:travelstar+5k500

It is a 2.5" but since this will be my first time replacing a Mac hard drive, I am a little wary about it. I have replaced tons on PC's but is there anything I need to look out for? I am contemplating just taking the hard drive to an Apple Store and having them replace it for me. That way, I don't void the warranty because it is not assessable unless you take the entire top piece off (the keyboard).

What do you guys think? You have never steered me wrong before.

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Assuming it is a 2.5mm sata drive, and you've got a late 08 pro, you can do it yourself (assuming you've got a decent precision screwdriver set and a torx set) in less than five minutes. If you're not nearsighted and clumsy like I am, probably even less.

I opted for the Western Digital scorpio black 320 gig 7200 rpm drive. But you can't argue with 180 gigs more storage.

Good luck!

3. BrianStoiber thread starter macrumors member

I bought it back in February so...no easy access like the new ones have.

It is 2.5" and below are what they give for Dimensions and weight.
    Dimensions & Weight
    Depth 3.9 in
    Height 0.5 in
    Weight 5.2 oz
    Width 2.8 in

When I bought mine, a 230GB was the largest drive available. And when you are editing video that is hi-def, that is used up really quickly and pulling it off of an external hard drive is not fast enough.