New Hard Drive help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by coltonbye1993, Apr 18, 2013.

1. coltonbye1993 macrumors newbie

On my Macbook the hard drive is almost full. I want to put a new bigger hard drive in. I found Hitachi GST Travelstar hard drive on Newegg.com for $90. And since im taking my Macbook apart i mine as well upgrade my ram also. My friend told me i can go up to 16gb of ram. I found Crucial 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 also on Newegg.com for $130. Will this toys work and are there better options for me? I mainly use my Macbook for music/downloading cartoons/and surfing the web. I would rather go with over kill then have to settle for what i need. If my toys wont work what do i need? I dont know much about computers but i can learn.
    Here are links to the Hard drive and Ram.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145875
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148614

2. simsaladimbamba

It depends what MacBook model you have.

To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:
    [​IMG]
    To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
    To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​

3. coltonbye1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

My macbook is
    Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB71.0039.B0B
    SMC Version (system): 1.60f6
    Serial Number (system): 45110K6MF5W
    Hardware UUID: 897B3F0B-C3BC-5688-8B6C-13A734DA62EB
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

I have ordered the toys I have on my my original post, but I think i messed up. I have right now 2x1GB DDR3 1067MHz ram and I ordered 2x8GB DDR3 1600HMz Ram made by Crucial. Did I mess up by buying ram with a higher HMz or will it work fine. I know that Snow Leopard will not accept the 16GB ram but i will upgrade to Mountain Lion in my entire journey of installing new toys.
    Assuming that the ram will do fine (if not i will buy what yall recommend) I will go about this in this order.

1 Clone my current hard drive on to my new one using a external enclosure since I have lost my recovery DVD.
    2 Install my new 1TB 7200rpm hard drive.
    3 Upgrade my OS to Mountain Lion and install any updates needed.
    4 Install my 2x8GB if i had bought the right one. If not the right one will be in the mail coming.

Is this right and will it work. Thanks in advanced and sorry for the long post and bad computer know how and bad writing. If all goes well I might have a new hobby in computers.