New Hard Drive Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by udamangum94, Jul 31, 2008.

1. udamangum94 macrumors newbie

I just recieved a new hard drive to replace my old hard drive in my macbook which had crashed. When I first got my macbook Leopard had not came out yet. I had the Tiger re-install disk. Now since Leopard has been released I upgraded. I bought just the one install disk because I am the only on in my family that has a mac. The thing is, is that since I have a new hard drive I want to install the Leopard again. I wanted to know if I am still able to install leopard even though I bought the one install. If not how will I be able to get Leopard back on my computer without buying a new Leopard disk again?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes, you can install on your new drive for that MacBook. You need to format it as GUID (search the forum for it).

Apple doesn't use ridiculous schemes that Microsoft impose on their poor users.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Don't worry about it your only installing a new OS on the one machine regardless if you replacing the drive or not

edit too slow again

4. udamangum94 thread starter macrumors newbie

I cannot figure out what GUID is. Anyone know and can you give me details on how to do it?

5. pinktank macrumors 6502

yes you can install it, try not to worry about guid, the installer will do it for you

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

While it should initialize with a GUID partition table, sometimes it doesn't - I have had it happen to me before and had to go through the entire install process a second time.

In Disk Utility, click on the new drive volume (indented and below the hard drive device), then click on the Partition tab and from Options select GUID. Then initialize.