New hard drive. How would you migrate?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sdsvtdriver, Oct 9, 2009.

1. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

I got a new 7200 RPM drive for my MBP. I'm debating on how I want to integrate it. What would you do and why?

1. Slave new drive and clone the current HD with 10.5.8 to the new drive, then install. Update to 10.6.2 at a later date.
    2. Slave new drive and clone the current HD with 10.5.8 to the new drive, then install. Update to 10.6.2.
    3. Install new drive internally, install 10.6.2, use time machine to restore data.
    4. Install new drive internally, install all applications fresh, slave old drive and copy over documents, downloads, etc. the old school way.
    5. Other

:)

2. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

i did #4 and no problems so far (that are the computers fault :D)

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Although #4 is a lot of work, it's the way I would go. If you're already going though the trouble of installing a new drive and upgrading the OS, perhaps it's time to start fresh and make sure everything is running on a clean slate. I did this for the first time in three years once I installed Snow Leopard, and it was a great experience.

4. amusiccale macrumors 6502

I'm generally a fan of #3 - fresh install and just restoring the user. A few programs might need to be reinstalled, but on the whole, it would be a faster migration if uptime is the priority

5. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

i also just went recently with option 4 doing it for both my snow leopard and vista partition making it double the work but worth it in the end

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

1. Install New Hard Drive
    2. Drop standard image on the machine with NetRestore
    3. Login as the local admin
    4. Bind to my OD server
    5. Login with my OD account
    6. Done

Of course, you probably can't do this, but you asked how I would :D

In the old days, I always preferred #4.

7. sputacus macrumors regular

I'm about to upgrade the hard drive to my machine. My current 10.6.1 install is solid, without any issues. I have a SuperDuper! clone of 10.6.1 on a FW800 external - after installing the new internal drive, I will just clone 10.6.1 onto it (takes less than 90 mins). It would be a waste of my time personally to reinstall everything, knowing that after I'm done my machine would at best NOT run any better than it would have run from my 10.6.1 clone.

So I guess that is your option 1 or 2...

8. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Not knowing what applications you use, I'd have to say #4 also... the clean install.

Otherwise you might 2nd guess yourself wondering if a problem is due to a leftover preference file or something one of your 3rd party apps has issues with.