New hard drive in imac - how do I back iphone up?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by randytrouserman, Jun 29, 2009.

1. randytrouserman macrumors newbie

Hi all,

sorry if this has been covered before, I can't see the wood for the trees on here sometime.

My iMac has had a new hard drive fitted and is now virtually clear. How do I transfer the info from my phone back over? It's got a lot of apps and a few series I've copied over from the TV.

And what's on my phone is now the last copy of some of them. Help!

Many thanks
    RT

2. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

You should have copied over your iTunes folder to the new hard drive. Always, always back up your important data! Go out right now and buy an external hard drive and use Time Machine on your iMac!

In iTunes you can try to right click the phone and click "Transfer Purchases". There is also a "Store>Check for Available Downloads" option in iTunes that might help to recover your stuff. Apps can be re-downloaded for free. However, tv shows, movies, music etc cannot be. You can try to contact Apple and see if they'll let you download them again. However, you better back up your stuff from now on. I've only ever heard of them allowing people re-downloads (music, movies, tv) once.

There are also some programs you can get to pull data off iPods/iPhones. I don't know of any in particular, I've never used one. But that is something to investigate.