New hard drive in MacBook Pro won't boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bmosorio342, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Bmosorio342 macrumors newbie

Hello all... Newbie here!

I just replaced the hard drive (to a 1T senate SATA) in my MacBook Pro and upgraded the RAM from 2, 2GB cards to 2, 8GB cards.

Hardware install went smooth, backed up old drive to time machine & made a USB of OSX for install on new drive.

I've gone in and reformatted the new drive with the proper settings (1 partition, journaled, etc...).

When I go in to boot up the system, the computer goes to apple logo grey screen and the loading bar comes up, loads to exactly the halfway point in about 6 minutes, then just sits there... For hours.

I've tried it many times always with the same outcome.

I need my computer for school TODAY! Please help!

Thanks!:mad:

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Start by putting it back together using the original harddrive & RAM. If it works you didn't break anything, then put in one upgrade at a time when school isn't a priotity.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Which MBPro do you have?
    and
    Which OS X version are you installing?

Is the stall during boot to the OS X installer?
    Or, does the install complete, and you are just at the second boot (where it would boot from the newly installed system?)

Finally, it may make a difference which SSD you have (brand and model?)

4. Bmosorio342 thread starter macrumors newbie

DeltaMac,

Early 2011 Unibody MacBook Pro 13"

Yosemite (latest version)

Stall during OSX installer not second boot

1T seagate SSHD Hybrid

Thanks so much!

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

OK
    Sounds like you have a improperly created installer drive.

If you have the Yosemite installer app saved, redo your installer with good directions. (Otherwise, you will need to download the Yosemite installer again) Here's a site that I know works for creating a good Yosemite flash drive installer:
    http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/16/make-os-x-yosemite-boot-install-drive/

Or, download one of the disk creator apps that will do that in basically a one step operation, such as DiskMakerX. Here's the version to download that works best for me:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7261464/DiskMaker X 4b5.zip

(unzip with whatever you usually use. I like The Unarchiver.app)
    The DiskMakerX app takes a long time to finish, and may appear to not be doing anything. Give it at least 30 minutes. A message will come on the screen when it finishes.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:
    If you have not solved your problems yet, try these suggestions:

As was suggested above, put the original drive BACK into the Macbook so that you have a working computer.

Next, you need some way to "prep and test" the new drive BEFORE you attempt to install it into the Macbook.

I would suggest either a USB3/SATA "dongle" or a USB3/SATA docking station. These will cost you less than $25.

Once you have that, put the new drive into the dock (or dongle).
    Initialize it with Disk Utility.
    At this point, either install a "fresh copy" of the OS onto it, or, use CarbonCopyCloner (or SuperDuper) to clone the contents of your older, working HDD to the new drive.

Next, try a "test boot" while the drive is still docked. Restart and hold down the option key until the startup manager appears, then select the external drive and hit return.
    Do you get a "good boot"?
    If so, you know the drive has a good copy of the OS on it and that your MacBook will boot from it.
    NOW it's time to "do the surgery" and swap drives around.

Once the new drive is in, you can continue to use the dock or dongle to connect the old drive to serve as an emergency bootable backup.
    You will not fully appreciate how important it is to have such a bootable backup until you experience one of those "I can't boot" moments...

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Attach the Time Machine disk and option key boot to it. From there use Diks Util to format the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Util and click restore. That will copy the OS and all your apps and data to the new drive.

8. charlyham macrumors regular

charlyham

You might want to also check the drive to be sure you have chosen guid partition table instead of mbr when you created the partition on the new drive. It will not boot OSX if it is MBR partiton map scheme.