New Hard drive in PowerBook 12"

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Tibs066, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Tibs066 macrumors member

My wifes powerbook HDD took a crap this weekend so i replaced the hard drive with a new Hitachi hard drive. After putting it all back together and putting in restore disk one and holding down c at the start and all i am getting is a folder with the apple gray and white face. I have takin it apart and put it back together 3 times now and still the same thing. Need some help on how to get this back up and running.
    Thanks Brian

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Can you hear the HDD spin up? Possible the HDD controller is bad.

Also try holding Option instead.

3. Tibs066 thread starter macrumors member

4. vniow macrumors G4

That's what the above poster said...

If that still doesn't work, disconnect the hard drive from the logic board and see if it boots off of disc then. If yes then maybe your cable is bad as well, rare but happens, those are pretty cheap. If neither of those things work then your ATA bus is borked.

5. Tibs066 thread starter macrumors member

Powerbook

I tried pushing the option key when starting and get a lock that i have to put a password into? Also i tried getting the boot disk to work without the hard drive attaches and get the folder with the happy/sad apple face and the question mark? Is there anything else i can do to get this too work. Also if the ATA bus is broke then how can that be fixed?
    Thanks Brian

6. vniow macrumors G4

You've got a firmware password there. Resetting it is kind of iffy, the methods I know to reset it don't always work so YMMV...

I've been able to reset that by changing a hardware configuration, like RAM, and resetting PRAM about 3 times. This hasn't always work so do a search for resetting the open firmware password and you may find other methods.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You need to know your EFI firmware password; the only way to reset it is to boot into your Restore DVDs and it looks like you need to password to boot into the DVDs.

8. vniow macrumors G4

Its not EFI, its Open Firmware, OF is on PPC machines and EFO only on Intels. And its not needed to boot into the DVD to reset the password, the first few links for "resetting open firmware password" posted the same solution I gave in the post right above yours.