New Hard Drive Install

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JRYAN34, Jul 19, 2008.

1. JRYAN34 macrumors newbie

I know how to install the new hard drive into my macbook but I was wondering is there anything else that I need to do after the install?

2. chscag macrumors 68000

3. SpoonSport macrumors newbie

Just Install the new hdd and re-install OS X that's right ???

not gonna format the new hdd first ???

Thank you

4. JRYAN34 thread starter macrumors newbie

do i just install it and then do a system update?

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Boot from disk ( hold c key down while booting ) go into disk utility in the menu bar, highlight the drive in the left pane, make sure your using the GUID partition table, format the drive HFS+ ( Mac OS extended journaled ) then carry on with the install

6. Tmog macrumors member

If you want to make the upgrade really easy, then buy an external 2,5" casing. Then boot up from the external drive and copy it to the new one (I have used Superduper which is excellent to backup/restore and entire harddrive).

7. JRYAN34 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cant I just right click and copy everything on my laptop hard drive to my external one, and then when i install my new one just paste everything in there

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

No you cant copy & paste an OS, either get an enclosure, put the new drive in the enclose clone your internal to the new drive in the enclosure using either ccc or superduper boot from the new drive if ok do the swap or follow my post a few threads above if you don't have an enclosure

or do you mean you have a external drive already? if thats the case you can clone the internal to it then once you have the new drive installed clone the OS back

9. muldul macrumors 6502

Yeah, if you haven't already, reinstall os x and your data, other than that no