New hard drive, lost install disc. Time Machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KGator, Sep 4, 2010.

1. KGator macrumors newbie

So, I've just bought a new 500gb HDD, and 4gb of RAM for my late '08 MacBook. However, when I started to look for my Leopard install disc, I couldn't find it. So, I was wondering...

The old HDD is running Snow Leopard, and is still in the computer. My friend has a MBP, which came with the Snow Leopard DVD. Would it be possible for me to back up the old HDD with Time Machine, install the new HDD, insert his Snow Leopard DVD, format the drive with Disc Utility, and then restore from Time Machine (with all the drivers/etc) installed?

The only thing I'm worried about is, I replaced the old HDD because it had some error - ivalid node structure - or something. The drive still works, but would the problem affect anything/be carried over?

I'm not so concerned with keeping the files, I just want to have all the drivers/etc installed on my mac, and I couldn't think of another way. Woul this be possible, or is there an easier way?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The MBP's system disk will not work in your macbook's, that is if I'm understanding what you're looking to do.

3. AppleCode macrumors regular

AppleCode

You could use carbon Copy Cloner and get a cheap enclosure to put the new hard drive in.

4. KGator thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait, I already have an external HDD, so if I did this -

http://nathanbowers.com/hacks-how-tos/macbookpro-hard-drive-upgrade-how-to/

using the CCC program to make a bootable drive on my extHDD, then installed the new HDD and copied it over..That would work?

Edit: I noticed using CCC required formatting your HDD into HFS; would it be easier to just use Disk Utility to partition my extHDD (as there are things on there I'd like to keep), create a bootable partition, and do the same basic thing?

And thank you for the replies!