New Hard drive lost VMWare Fusion Data

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ahmac, Aug 30, 2009.

1. ahmac macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My hardrive on my Macbook Pro crashed last night. Today Apple replaced my hard drive. I migrated all data from my Time Machine Backup, but when I went to use VMWare Fusion, it lost the Windows Operating system and will not run.

Is it possible for me to restore these data from the Time Machine backup? If so, how do I do that?

Hellllppppp! I have some important data to recover including tons of important emails.

Thanks.

2. JAGMAN macrumors newbie

Time Machine doesn't backup the Windows disk partition. So unless you can access your old HD, the files are gone.

3. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

This. Apple states it doesn't do windows disks.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Time machine doesn't do anything about bootcamp or vmware or parallels, unless you have your old disk and/or a backup of what was on the windows side of things, you're SOL.

5. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Bootcamp, no.

VMware images, yes, as its on the OS X side of things.

So if he had a bootcamp partition he is stuffed, if it was a VMware image then he can re-import it back into VMWare and everything is fine.

I don't backup my bootcamp partition because there isn't anything important there.

6. rei727887 macrumors newbie

VMware Image Location?

Sorry to be dense, but where do I find this VMware image? I've looked in user/documents/virtual machines but there's nothing there. Please tell me that it's located somewhere else.
    :confused:

7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

That's where the Virtual Hard Drive files are if that's what you're using. If you're running your Boot Camp partition in a VM, there will be nothing in that directory.

8. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Were you using the bootcamp partition as a VMWare image?

If you were, then its gone.

9. rei727887 macrumors newbie

No, I didn't use Bootcamp. To be exact, this is what I get when I search in the Documents folder: Documents/Virtual Machines/RAYS-COMPUTER_C_Drive001.vmdk.lck/M48645.lck [this is a document] :(

10. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Right click on the VM in the Virtual Machine Library, then select show in finder from the context menu.