New Hard Drive - MacBook Pro 2.4GHZ

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Appleboyjohnny, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Appleboyjohnny macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro 2.4GHZ, Purchased it end of 2008.....am I correct in thinking that I need a 2.5inch hard drive? I wanted to upgrade from 250GB to 500GB.

Also, does anyone know the maximum ram it can have? Is it 4GB?

Thanks!

2. JosX macrumors regular

The late '08 MBPs only support 6GB RAM, & yes, you need a 2.5" 9.5mm tall hard drive.

3. Appleboyjohnny thread starter macrumors newbie

4. JosX macrumors regular

No problem! And with the RAM, although it will work with 6GB, I hear that 4GB with 2x2GB is a better bet as it can multi-thread or something like that which makes it faster, I don't know much about that though.

5. g8rdmd macrumors member

Funny! I was just going to search the forum to see about replacing the hd in my MBP...the first thread on the page when I opened the forum is this :cool: Serendipity :D I've got a 250gb in my 13" right now and I've used a little over half of it...I just want to know my options as far as increasing storage. :cool:

6. JosX macrumors regular

I think 640GB is the maximum for the MacBook Pros at the moment, there are 1TB 2.5" HDDs, but they are more than 9.5mm tall, correct me if I'm wrong though.

Having 500GB in my new MBP is a huge improvement on the 160GB in my old MacBook & MacBook Pro, I can now have everything with me anywhere without worrying about carrying around an external hard drive or running out of space.