New Hard Drive Missing Place Holders?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freshness, May 10, 2011.

1. freshness macrumors newbie

So I just went through the process of installing a new hard drive after mine crashed and installing everything and it's working great.. Until I picked up my laptop and I heard something shuffling around.

I took off the bottom and my hard drive is missing the bolts (?) that hold it in place.. the four bolts that go around the edges. This is pretty frustrating and I'm hoping there is just an easy fix..

Any ideas?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Those don't come with the drive. You are supposed to take the ones of your existing drive and install them on the new drive.

3. freshness thread starter macrumors newbie

Any idea how to get them out of the old drive? They seem to be really in there.. Can't get them to budge.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

When I've done this on previous MBPs they were simply screws that you unscrewed using an appropriately sized philips screw driver.

5. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

You need a Torx head screwdriver. If you used a Philips, you might have stripped the heads.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

From memory you will need a Torx head screw driver.

7. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

Torx 6 I believe, but I have been wrong in the past. I wouldn't move the computer when it's on until you install those

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Ah, I stand corrected. I have plenty of Torx drivers so if it was one of those I'd have just grabbed one...