New Hard drive, no original disk to reinstall operating system

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jbassal, Nov 20, 2010.

1. jbassal macrumors newbie

I had a black mac book and the hard drive stopped working, got the grey screen with a flashing folder question mark, which i heard was a common problem with the black macbooks specifically that are about 3 years old. I'm in china right now so i couldn't go and get it fixed for free, so i got a new hard drive installed, but i don't have my original disks that came with the computer to reinstall the operating system. The shop installed a pirated version but they say it'll only work now while the disk is in the computer, and that if i buy new authentic software it'll be the same case, do i have to get my original software mailed from home or is there a way around this?
    much appreciated

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could get Snow Leopard for 29 USD, it is a working retail version.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you get a legit copy of snow leopard, you will not need to leave the CD in after installation

4. jbassal thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for your help, i'll buy a new os, also, they installed a hitachi hard drive, is this a problem, does your internal hard drive have to be apple?

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple does not make hard drives; they buy them from various suppliers. It doesn't matter who makes the drive.