new hard drive on Mac G5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by miguellovesjesu, Feb 16, 2009.

1. miguellovesjesu macrumors member

so i've installed a new HD on a Mac G5, and it's a 1TB HD. Luckily my G5 had all the cables i needed for it to run it. Now i have a problem. The original hard drive that's still in there fits in perfectly into the slots. the 2nd new hard drive is right under it, though its a little slimmer and it just lays on the metal. So it doesn't fit into the slots, and the hard drive is facing up. Should i be concerned about this? is this a big issue?

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/PMG5_HD_DIY.pdf
    if you read on that PDF on the last page, my new HD is on the B section and it just lays on the floor. i don't know if that might cause some bad things to go wrong with the Hard Drive in the future. im not a hardware person so that's why i ask. thanks in advance :)

2. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Is the new drive the same size as the other? The new drive should slide into slots exactly as the drive in slot A does.

I can't remember exactly where they are located but there is a set of button-head screws nearby the drive slots that are in a row. They are there for exactly the reason you need. Take a look the drive in slot A and notice how the button head screws are on the sides of the hard drive. Use the four spare screws for the new drive in exactly the same manner.

I would not let it sit on the floor of the drive bay. If you absolutely have to do that, I suggest using at least a small piece of double backed foam tape to keep it from moving around or vibrating.

3. hackerc macrumors newbie

Before my Mac Pro i had G5 Quad with a second drive installed. When you are installing an additional drive, transfer the guide screws from the side of the hard drive bay to the drive. This means these little suckers are hidden in your machine and you need to mount them on your new drive before it's able to make use of the side sleeves to pop it in. All 3,5" drives should fit because there is barely difference in size.
    I hope this might help you.:apple:

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

If your G5 has never had a second drive before, the 4 screws necessary to screw into the side of the 2nd drive to get it to mount correctly will be provided from the factory in the space I indicated in red in the pic below (which I got from the guide you linked to, so disregard the yellow arrow as that is part of the original pic).

If a second drive was removed, the screws need to be transferred to the new one.

And in answer to your question, no- laying loose on the bottom is not the right way!;)

Attached Files:

5. miguellovesjesu thread starter macrumors member

so there should be a spacer type thing inside my G5 since i've never had any extra hard drive? and also the screws i think i remember seeing them

6. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

7. miguellovesjesu thread starter macrumors member