New Hard Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Spock, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Not sure if this is in the right forum so I am sorry if its not, the HDD in my 12 in PowerBook just died so I went and got a new Western Digital Scorpio 120GB Hard Drive, after an hour of taking my PowerBook apart I got the new drive in all the wires are tight and everything fits like a glove. I plug in power put in a 10.3 install CD open Disk Utility and nada nothing just the optical drive shows up, I can hear the drive power up but disk utility just will not see it, I have zapped the pram reset the PMU the NVRAM and the Open Firmware with no luck, I have also tried using target disk mode with my intel iMac and disk utility just freezes. I dont want to have to take this thing out again. Any help would be great.

2. surfer99 macrumors 6502

Have you formatted the drive to Mac OS X extended journal? Its in disk utility under erase. The exact same thing happened to me and I was able to remedy the situation by doing that.

3. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Yeah, you have to understand the various installation tasks are fairly well differentiated and split up amongst the various apps which comprise the installation software.

The "installer" can't install anything onto a drive with either no partitions or with no Mac OS-friendly partitions. Therefore, you need to create at least one Mac OS-friendly partition before the installer will show you a drive onto which it will install anything.

Do what was suggested by the previous poster, and your problems will disappear like a platefull of live gagh at a Klingon banquet.

4. Spock thread starter macrumors 68000

Spock

Well you are correct that the installer cannot install to an unformatted drive but the drive would not show up in Disk Utility making it unable to format.
    But, after doing what I did not want to I took the PowerBook back apart and found that Disk Utility and Hard Drives work a lot better when they are plugged in all the way :eek: Thank You for the help, I will drink a cup of blood wine in both your honor.

5. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

My little cousin, 12 or so, got an imac G5 when they first came out and for some reason or another, installed the airport card himself. It didn't work so he called me over. I spent four hours on that thing, turning it and the router in his house inside out. Finally, I opened it. Apparently airport cards work better if you plug them in and attach the antennae.

The day a decent pair of x-ray glasses come out I am soooo all about it.