New Hard drive Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heisenberg123, Jan 12, 2012.

1. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I currently have a 500GB will be updating to a 1TB on the weekend I backup to and external hard drive using CCC, ive tested that I can boot from the external so im sure its a good backup.

when i swap the internal is it as simple as booting from the external, go to disk utlitiy, format the new hard drive, then run CCC and back the "backup" the source and the new black hard drive the target and then hit clone?

also is this the best way to do this or if i have the time should i just do a clean install of Lion using my bootable dvd, than just drag and drop my data from the backup, I am only really concerned about movies, music, and pictures

i dont have many apps so i can just re-install those 1 at a time

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Your method should work. Only downfall is that you won't have the Lion Recovery partition on the new drive. Does your computer support the Internet-booted recovery option (not the Lion download, the actual boot-from-net)? If so, this won't really be a concern.

3. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

how would i confirm this?

its an early 2011 2.0 quad, I purchased it refurbished with Lion pre-installed

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Looks like yours supports it as long as you've kept up to date on your firmware. HERE is the info from Apple.

5. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

thanks so do you see no real advantage to installing everything manually, CCC should be good enough?

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

CCC should be fine. I'd recommend reinstalling if you were transferring to a different type of machine, but you're just reinstalling the software to the exact same Mac. No sort of hardware changes that would benefit from having "drivers" reinstalled during the OSX installation.

7. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

thanks for your replies