Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasontrucks76

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2009
Good morning guys!

I have an older Mini that the HD flaked out in and I hooked up an external HD and routed it to be the primary boot up drive. It works fine but is a little bit slower as it is a USB 2 external so everything has to go through the USB.

I have located a new (to me) HD that has windows vista on it and want to install it in the Mini. My question is can I install the new HD and start up the Mini and load OSX at that point or am I going to run into a problem since it has windows loaded on it? I mean if I start up the Mini with a windows HD in it that would be an issue right?

I am thinking I need to install the new internal HD... Leave the external in place and start up the machine to the external and then wipe out the new internal HD with disk utility.... Then I should be able o load OSX to it from there... Does that sound reasonable or am I over thinking this?

Thanks in advance for any input!

JT

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
2 choices:

1. Install the new hard drive. Boot from install disk and wipe with disk utility and then install OSX.

2. Install new hard drive. Boot from external drive and use disk utility to wipe drive. Then either clone the drives or boot into installer and install.

jasontrucks76

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2009
2 choices:

1. Install the new hard drive. Boot from install disk and wipe with disk utility and then install OSX.

2. Install new hard drive. Boot from external drive and use disk utility to wipe drive. Then either clone the drives or boot into installer and install.

Thanks Dalton!

I was thinking along these lines but needed a little conformation. Have a great day!

momo8881

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
3rd Option?

2 choices:

Does he have a third option? I was hoping I could boot normally with old internal. Then clone the old internal to the new external with disk utility. Finally, install the newly cloned drive? I would be using an external dock of course. Thanks!

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Does he have a third option? I was hoping I could boot normally with old internal. Then clone the old internal to the new external with disk utility. Finally, install the newly cloned drive? I would be using an external dock of course. Thanks!

You mean hook up the new drive as external? LOL woops, yea that would work. It's just the opposite of number 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.