New Hard Drive replacing stock 320 gig

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by surflordca, Feb 28, 2008.

1. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Sorry guys as I know this has been posted. I spent a lot of time search for it but couldn't find it. I know it is here somewhere as I read it.
    I need step by step instructions on how to replace my stock boot drive that came with my new MacPro. I have had this computer now for a couple of weeks and I would like to copy the whole drive to a BIGGER new one. I also have Parallels on the Mac HD on a separate partition. I also hope to copy this partition to the new HD. Any help would be appreciated even if you could link me to the form that this is posted on :rolleyes:

Any search tips would also be helpful ;)

2. matt321 macrumors member

Are you using bootcamp with parallels?

If so, go here: http://twocanoes.com/winclone/

You will need to use Winclone to backup your windows bootcamp partition. Do a backup and make sure all the correct boxes are checked (Vista requires an extra box be checked to fix the HAL I believe.) Place the backup on a separate drive if you can.

To transfer your mac partition, boot up from the OS X install disk and run disk utility.

Select the drive you want to image (probably "Macintosh HD"), Unmount it, and then click New Image.

Save the Image to an external/secondary drive.

From there you can shut down your computer, swap the drive (don't leave the old one in there just in case something was to happen,) boot from the OS X bootdisk.

Open disk utility again, format your new drive (1 partition for now), and then choose the restore tab.

The source will be the image you just made (click the "Image..." button to find it) and the Destination drive will the the drive you just formatted. You can just drag it over from the left to the white blank. Click Restore.

I have had problem with doing this when disk utility would come back with an error immediately. In which case I just do click Restore again and it works. YMMV.

Assuming it went well and verified everything, reboot and everything should be familiar.

Use boot camp assistant (if you used boot camp) to make a new partition, restart, but go back into OS X.

Open Winclone once again, this time doing a restore. Select the newly created windows partition and you should be good to go.

This is what I did for my Macbook when I upgraded it's hard drive and it should work for you too on your Mac Pro.

3. surflordca thread starter macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Thanks for the helpful reply. I am NOT using Boot Camp just Parallels. So I take it that I might lose my Windows partition?

4. matt321 macrumors member

If you're not using bootcamp, just a different partition, Parallels should just be a folder on the spare partition. If that is the case, you can also image that partition to a .dmg.

When you go to install the new drive, you should have 2 images: one for the mac side and one for parallels. Here is what I would do:

-Boot up from the OS X boot dvd and enter disk util.
    -Unmount BOTH partitions.
    -Image BOTH partitions to an external drive.

-Reboot.

-Swap the new drive for the old drive.
    -Boot up from the OS X boot dvd and enter disk util.
    -Partition the new disk into 2 partitions, just like you had before.
    -Then restore each individual partition (they must be individual. I have tried to image an entire hard drive with multiple partitions and it NEVER works.)

-Restore both partitions at the same time, so that parallels doesn't know any different.

-Reboot.

That should work. I have done that multiple times since I image macbooks for K-state, each with dual partitions.

Let me know if this works.

5. surflordca thread starter macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I will let you know for sure but it might be a couple of weeks until I buy a new HD and then try to find someone with an external drive that I can borrow as I don't want to buy one. I have one but it's only a 150gig and I have 180gig used on the Mac HD.

Thanks for all your help...

6. surflordca thread starter macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Got everything up and running again. Thanks for all your help. I put in 2 Samsung 750 GB F1 Spinpoints and I now have one as my main HDD :)
    Tks again