New Hard Drive = Slower system?????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rl2k05, Mar 5, 2010.

1. rl2k05 macrumors newbie

I just upgraded my hard drive in my macbook pro to the 500 GIG western digital 7200 rpm drive. Now it seems like my systems is a bit slower that when the 200 gig drive was in it. Any suggestions? My configurations is as follows:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Seems like it boots a bit slower as well. I used Super Duper to clone the disk.:mad::mad:

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

There is no Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM drive for laptops.

Furthermore, after cloning the system will be slower but speed will improve with time.

3. rl2k05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I was mistaken, its a 5400 rpm drive. I am hoping the speed will improve. Over all the drive is much quieter than the original drive. Cant even tell its running.

4. kap09 macrumors 6502

5. rl2k05 thread starter macrumors newbie

It was a Fujitsu 200GB drive with the apple sign on it.

6. gaps macrumors member

gaps

I had the same problem replacing the stock Hitachi 250gb @5400 drive with a brand new Hitachi 500gb @7200rpm. I used Carbon Copy Cloner and my boot time increased with the new faster drive. It went from 40seconds with the stock drive to 70seconds with the new "faster" drive. So I decided to erased the new drive and do a fresh install with the snow leopard disc and this fixed everything. Now it boots in 30seconds and works flawlessly. It feels and sounds like the stock drive, except it is faster!!! I hope this helps!!!

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Really dont need to. CCC and SuperDuper doesn't clone over the caches that OSX creates and knows about. This creates the increase in time and lower disk performance. After using it for a few days, the times will be better and drive function a lot faster/better.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

This is why I never clone anything. I always just back up via external hdd and transfer using FW800.

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Well, really, a clone is faster. Besides, after the clone, the Spotlight reindexes and all cache is rebuilt. I just clone it, then overnight leave it run its scripts and such, the next morning the system runs just as fast as before the clone. The caches would have to be rebuilt later on by using it but it'll be better. Certainly faster then reinstall though imo.

10. rl2k05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Day 4 or so!

System still moving kind of slow. I might just do a reinstall of my OS and see if that works.