New hard drive still won't be recognized!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by simpliSD, Mar 8, 2012.

1. simpliSD macrumors newbie

Hello, recently I've been having several problems with my mid-2009 MacBook Pro; 2 minute beachballs and failure to startup. So I've purchased a new new WD Scorpio Black 750gb thinking it was a HD issue, but after replacing my old HD with the WD, Disk Utility wouldn't recognize the new drive. So I searched around and found out that Hard Drive Cable failure is an issue on this certain MacBook. So I ordered a new Hard Drive cable and just replaced that today, thinking that my new HD would be recognized. However after going into Disk Utility via the OS X Install DVD, my new Hard Drive was still not recognized. So I put back my old stock HD and it was recognized instantly and seems to not have any issues anymore. Could it be that the drive is DoA? Or should I purchase an external enclosure and format my new hard drive that way? I'd appreciate any other suggestions, thanks!

2. SantaRosa2.2 macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

I had a similar problem, I had to reinstall the HDD 3 times for it to read, it was a matter of the sliding the sata connector on and off until it was nice and snug, then it finally read. Can you hear the HDD spool up at all? THen you have power at the interface, and it should probably read. if it not check the connection.

3. simpliSD thread starter macrumors newbie

^Thanks for the reply, I reinstalled it a couple of times making sure the connection was tight, but still not recognized. And I do hear the drive spinning upon startup!