New Hard Drive --> Transferring files (Mac Pro)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by deliriouscu, Feb 8, 2008.

1. deliriouscu macrumors newbie

Hi, I just purchased a bigger hard drive for my mac pro (Old was 250gb, new is 750gb), and I wanted to use this bigger one as my main one and the 250gb for my misc files.

What is the best way to copy everything (including all user account info) from the old to the new drive?

I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

2. GotPro macrumors 6502

I wouldn't do it that way.

I'd do a fresh install of the OS on the new drive, set up the same account name / password... and then copy over items from your home folder manually.

My .02.

I've always done it this way and, while a bit more time consuming... it works really well.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

^ This is a pointless waste of time and effort.

Use either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper and just clone the 250Gb to the 750GB. Once done make the 750Gb your Start Up disk, boot off it, make sure everything is OK, then erase the 250GB.

4. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Great advice... i was wondering the same thing.

5. SilverL macrumors member

Carbon Copy FTW!

Keep in mind that Spotlight will still have to re-index the new drive so some "setup" related slowness will still happen for a short time while spotlight does its thing.

6. whistler222 macrumors 6502

what's carbon copy? a freeware?

7. mikekim75 macrumors newbie

re:super d & ccc

I use to use those apps but found out late that disk utility works just fine on a firewire but from one volume to another it can leave out base system package needed for permission repair. Just use the restore option in disc utility, select source image as (original os) and destination as the disc to copy onto.

8. whistler222 macrumors 6502

if i reinstall OSX on a new bigger drive.. what about Ilife?
    does it ship with the new computer (install disc)
    or am i stuck buying a retail copy?

9. siorai macrumors 6502

Another vote for Carbon Copy. I used it to move my install from the base 320GB to a faster 500GB. Not a problem, very easy to do, and probably way quicker than going through a new install.

Doing a new install just seemed pointless. I would just be reinstalling the exact same thing I had before since all the hardware (other than the harddrive) would be the same. Plus by that point I had already installed some other apps and customized various settings to my liking. CCC was the only logical choice as far as I was concerned.

10. deliriouscu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for all the advice! I think I will try the Carbon Copy.