New Hard-drive troubles

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lnt, Sep 15, 2012.

1. lnt macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I installed a new hard drive in my MBP 15" recently, and have been having troubles with it.

Four out of every five times I try to transfer data to/from another hard-drive or device via USB or Firewire, it halts the process, claiming the data can't be written or read. I usually just try a few more times and it works fine.

Also, it's started lagging when I run programs – I just get the spinning pinwheel of doom and everything freezes for about 30 seconds to a minute.

I've actually tried two separate drives in the machine to see if the first one was faulty, but have had the same problems with each of them.

I formatted as per usual to begin with, tried repairing permissions etc. Nothing seems to get rid of it. Is it likely I have a virus, or is it more likely that there's some sort of hardware malfunction elsewhere in the machine?

Thank you in advance for your help, and sorry to add to the endless and ever-growing stream of Mac-noob derpery.

LNT

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It might be new, but these are classic symptoms of a bad drive. If a clean install of ML won't fix these issues then I would replace the drive...They can be faulty out of the box.

3. lnt thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that was my first thought, but I swapped the drive for another one, and the problems persisted. Are faulty drives common enough that I should get two in a row? Or is it possible that there's something else wrong?