New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by andyffer, Nov 27, 2011.

1. andyffer macrumors member

Hey guys-

My MacBook's HD crapped out but I thankfully had a backup via TimeMachine's periodic backups.

So I have bought a new HD and about to install it but Im wondering if I should the Snow Leopard start up disk or if I can use the Lion disk I made when I installed it on my other machines.

So to clarify I would either:
    1.install new hard drive
    2.use SL start up disk
    3.use Lion disk to update to Lion
    4.restore from time machine backup on external HD

or

1.install new hard drive
    2.use lion disk
    3.restore from time machine backup on external HD

2. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Depending on the method you use to create the Lion disk, you should be able to boot from the DVD. However take note, it takes awhile to boot, so pop in and go get some coffee or something to eat and come back.

Hugh

3. andyffer, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011

andyffer thread starter macrumors member

I used the method that involved going into disk utility. Does that help?
    Idk if the other method would be that I could have dragged and dropped it into the DVD and then burned.

I believe it was this: http://www.informationweek.com/byte/howto/personal-tech/desktop-os/231002151

4. Damers macrumors regular

This one. I did the same thing for my Lion clean install. Hugh is correct, the Lion disc boot takes a good while so go make a sammy while you wait.

5. andyffer thread starter macrumors member

Alright thanks guys! I did that and it worked! It is now restoring as we speak..

13.2% done and 2hrs and 22 min remaining.. Got to love Mac's useless time remaining calculations lol

Didnt take too long for the disk to boot, about the time it would take to make a sandwich like you said.

:apple: