New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flybub, Dec 10, 2014.

1. flybub macrumors regular

Hey all. I have a 2014 rMBP and I think I know the answer to this question but i figured it was worth a shot to ask. I have a 256GB SSD in this hog right now and would like to upgrade to 500GB. Is the HD soldered in these machines or is it possible to upgrade? Do I need to take it to an Apple store if it is possible? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. clea915 macrumors newbie

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2014+SSD+Replacement/27694

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

4. flybub thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help everyone. After visiting the links posted, even if I could upgrade, $700 for a 512GB SSD I might as well buy another MB. LOL, oh-well. Thanks again for the help, greatly appreciated

5. Cukies132 macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any idea when transcend will have SSD for mid-2014 rMBP?

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Nobody knows, and my best bet is it will never come.

It's been well over a year since the PCIe blades debuted in Haswell Macs, and there's still no sign of any upgrades.

It didn't that take OWC long to come up with the mSATA blades for the Ivy Bridge Macs after they debuted. If it's taken this long for the PCIe blades and there's still no sign of it, my best bet is that Apple probably threatened to sue them if they tried to copy the proprietary Apple blade form factor.