Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Close to buying a Hitachi TravelStar 5K160 160GB - so what's the situation when it arrives? Do I just pop in OSX DVD that shipped with my MacBook and install everything again? I keep most of my documents, music and films on my external to that's not a problem...

Thanks.

negatv1

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
MI
I own the same drive - it's great. Basically you can either pop in your install disk and format/partition the new drive and install a fresh installation of OSX, or you could use an application like SuperDuper! to clone your old drive to your new drive (you would need an external drive enclosure to use for this to work of course.

u4ia

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2005
I just purchased this exact drive today from newegg.com and hopefully will have it by next week along with a refurbished macbook. From what I have read it is very fast and very quiet, I can't wait to try it out. I do a lot of work with audio so I hoping it works well with that, I can post a quick review later next week.

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.