Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
I want to get a second hard drive for my PowerMac G5 2.3 Dual. It has two drive slots, one filled with a 250GB. Ideally I want the second bay to have another drive thats 250GB or larger. I've never fitted an HD before so any advice on makes, models, purchase, fitting etc. welcome.

Thanks

iPhil

macrumors 68040
I want to get a second hard drive for my PowerMac G5 2.3 Dual. It has two drive slots, one filled with a 250GB. Ideally I want the second bay to have another drive thats 250GB or larger. I've never fitted an HD before so any advice on makes, models, purchase, fitting etc. welcome.

Thanks

Any SATA/150 will work in your G5.. the brand that i like Seagate ..

3.5" drive size is the right size for the G5

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006

A good shop but not always the best price. I found better deals for the drives I bought at Newegg.com

best perfomance are the Seagate barracuda 7200.10 drives

for now the best price/ GB ratio are the 300GB HD drives

Says who? Prove it! While I'm reading that the Seagates are indeed good drives, most of the hard drive reviews are giving the nod to Western Digital and the Maxtor MAXline pro drives. As a matter of fact, there was an issue with the 7200.10 and MacPros that has since been fixed. But still..., to make such a blanket statement that Seagates are the "best" is silly. What you might be able to say is that Seagate is the most popular because it's the biggest company.

lesbarn

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2005
Kansas
Western Digital Drive

I just installed the following drive in a Dual Core Power Mac G5 2.0GHz
Western Digital RE2 WD5000YS 500GB Serial ATA

I have just begun using it for video projects and it seems to work well. I have not run any tests for speed, but it seems fast enough for what I need. I purchased the drive at http://www.zipzoomfly.com

Les

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
you can buy name brand HD's at just about any e/retailer that sells computer stuff, even friggin SmallMart sells HD's nowadays.......but getting the best price & shipping costs however, takes some time & effort :p

All the places & brands mentioned so far are good, but there are ALOT of other places out there also.

I suggest looking at http://www.pricewatch.com as a starting point for a search!

wwspence

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2007
Western Digital RE2 as G5 Boot Drive

I just installed the following drive in a Dual Core Power Mac G5 2.0GHz
Western Digital RE2 WD5000YS 500GB Serial ATA

I have just begun using it for video projects and it seems to work well. I have not run any tests for speed, but it seems fast enough for what I need. I purchased the drive at http://www.zipzoomfly.com

Les

I have a G5 computer and would like to use the WD5000YS as the Boot Drive. However, the drive is set up with TLER (time limited error recovery) and should be disabled for normal desk top use. Are you using your WD500YS as a boot drive or just as a secondary storage drive? Do you have any information on how to change the jumper settings to disable the TLER?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.