New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cliffrouse11bas, Jan 16, 2008.

1. cliffrouse11bas macrumors regular

I got a new 500gb seagate to go in the MacPro, but I do not want to reinstall everything. Is there a way I can clone my current hard drive. I have an external that I have been using for time machine. I would like everything to be the exactly same as my current configuration. Is there a way to do this so that I can move the 500gb as my main drive and put the 320gb as my secondary while transferring all my data to the new hard drive and erasing the old drive. Thanks

2. Toups macrumors regular

With time machine, when you purchase the new mac and go through the setup wizard it will ask if you want to transfer from a time machine backup. Follow the on screen instructions and your done!

3. cliffrouse11bas thread starter macrumors regular

I did this last time, but it did not include all my songs, pictures, and settings. Is there a way I can transfer these?

By the way I already have the new MacPro up and running. Will I need to take out the original and put it in Bay 2 and put the new one in bay 1 and run the install disk again? Then format the old hard drive that is in Bay 2?

4. MaddMacs macrumors 6502

Try CarbonCopyCloner to make an exact bootable copy of your drive.

5. cliffrouse11bas thread starter macrumors regular

If I put the new 500GB in Bay 2 can I clone Bay 1 to this drive them swap them by putting the 320gb in bay 2 and the 500gb in bay 1 or can I only clone to an external?

6. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

you can clone from and internal to an internal if you use Carbon Copy Cloner. You don't need to switch the bays, just go into the system preferences and choose the new startup disk.

I've done it dozens of times, couldn't be easier.