New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by devil4life409, Oct 23, 2008.

1. devil4life409 macrumors newbie

I am buying a new hard dive for my macbook and would like to know the best way to clone my old hard drive onto my new one, also will doing to affect the performance of the new hard drive, is it better to just do a fresh install?

2. svndmvn Guest

migrant assistant, superduper or even disk utility if i'm not mistaking, using firewire if it's not the most recent macbook, and if you have a case for your old hard drive of course...or even ethernet if you have another machine to put your old hard drive in..

3. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

migration assistant is the easiest way. both computers need firewire i believe.

4. devil4life409 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thats what i thought. I do have a usb external case i can put the old hard drive in. But, my last question in do i have to install os x on the new hard drive or does the install disk have a option to clone from an external hard drive.

5. svndmvn Guest

You can clone it all,that's one of Mac OS' advantages over Windows

6. devil4life409 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. consumedsoul macrumors regular

Which of the 3 options is the best/pristine 'copy' of the original image, or is there no difference?

8. svndmvn Guest

people swear by both superduper and migrant assistant, I really don't know which one is better..
    I guess superduper for copying from an external HD and Migrant Assistant if you have 2 machines connected through firewire or ethernet