New Harddrive creating too much heat?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nevpaurion, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Nevpaurion macrumors regular

I have a macbook 1.83 ghz with 2gigs of ram.
    My stock drive failed so I went to buy a new one and purchased the hitatchi travelstar 7200 rpm 200gb harddrive. I happen to be on vacation and All I have is my laptop with me so I do my gaming (WOW) on my laptop for now. I just downloaded smc fan contol to see how hot my laptop was, and when running wow it reaches up to 85 degrees Celsius. I'm positive this is far too hot for running at an extended time, but what baffles me is that this drive is supposed to be designed for running strenuous applications. Does anyone have any advice?

Now that I think about it, I never looked at how hot it was running wow with my old harddrive, so it may very well be that my laptop just runs the game extremely hot period. That being said my laptops current idle temp is 55 Celsius, this is just running firerfox.

2. chscag macrumors 68000

That's warm - especially if the machine is sitting on your lap! But I don't believe it's out of line since intensive games (games that tax the CPU and graphics chip) are going to drive the temperature upward. Most games aren't played in 10 minutes. :)

The 7200 RPM Hitachi is probably adding a bit to the heat. The 55 C temp for normal operation is OK. Try using a notebook cooler stand when you play the game.

Regards.

3. Nevpaurion thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice, btw I found that my idle temp when doing nothing is 37 Celsius and the 58ish is when using a few programs like adium itunes and firefox. I will def look into a cooling stand, do you know of any that you would recommend?