Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyclo0n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2009
Netherlands
Hi guys,
Today I upgraded my MacBook5.1 to 8GB Ram and 500GB Hdd.
But how do I install OSX lion again on the 500GB HDD???:confused: Because I didn't made a installation DVD before I installed Lion.

marndt

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
Germany
  • install the new HD in your Mac
  • install the old HD in an external USB case
  • attach the external USB to your Mac
  • hold the "Alt" key while booting, start the Lion Recovery partition on the external USB
  • run the disk utility to partition the new disk
  • download and install Lion again
  • run the Migration Assistent and move content from the old disk
... did that last week when installing a Seagate Momentus in my MBP.

Mattes

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Try holding Command+R during boot, if your Mac supports Internet recovery that will start.

If not, go to a Apple Store and they will either load Lion for you and/or give you a Thumb drive that contains the Lion recovery partition. It's also possible they will just tell you to reinstall SL and then download Lion.

(If your Mac did not ship with Lion, you might have to prove that you purchased it.)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Try holding Command+R during boot, if your Mac supports Internet recovery that will start.
How will the recovery work since the OP has a brand new hard drive. Lion creates the recovery partition but the OP is unable to install the partition.

The best options are either buy the thumb drive Lion, or hook up his old hard drive using an external enclosure

garmand92

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
You dont have to do any of this!!!

All i did (JUST reinstalled my mac from a 250 to 1TB WOOO!) is use time machine.

Use your snow leapard cd. and when you are installing point to time machine on your external drive. I ordered a 2nd TB drive for a customer, and used it to back up my 250. THen i threw the 2nd tb drive in my pc, named it during the SL install, pointed to leapard and about 230 gb took 3.5 hours to come back. BUT everything is here! All my updates, games, Photoshop, even all of my favorites in safari and chrome. all my mail is back and it is on the update i left off on! Apple made it sound much more difficult.

"lion network install" is only available on brand new models, and i dont want to spend 10 more dollars because mac wont sell a cd for lion, my install dmg was long gone, and when i logged in appstore, lion showed up as 30 bucks again, not installed.

I gave time machine a shot and it worked fine..bottom line :D

----------

i used the SL cd to re install and you dont have to even go into app store. lion directly installed back on, just use your time machine. ^^^Makes that post waaaay shorter.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
How will the recovery work since the OP has a brand new hard drive. Lion creates the recovery partition but the OP is unable to install the partition.

The best options are either buy the thumb drive Lion, or hook up his old hard drive using an external enclosure

He's talking about internet recovery. When I updated the EFI to support internet recovery, my recovery partition disappeared. So I'm assuming that you can use it even on a brand new HDD since it doesn't seem to need the recovery partition on your hard drive.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

As posted, there's 2 ways recovery works: from a copy of the media on a recovery partition or EFI network boot, and then over the internet - if you have a recent enough mac to support the new EFI.

If your mac doesn't have that option, then it likely shipped with Snow Leopard, so you install that first then do an upgrade (and burn a copy of the installer this time around :D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.