New Harddrive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cheystormm, Jun 27, 2014.

1. cheystormm macrumors newbie

The Harddrive on my iMac had a smart error, so I bought and installed a new hard drive this evening and when I try to restart my iMac with the OS X Install DVD, I continuously get a white screen with a grey folder with a question mark in it. I've tried to restart it holding option, c, and everything else and nothing is working. Does anyone have any advice or insight? Thank you in advance! :)

2. thesimplelogic macrumors regular

Hi!
    That seems a bit strange. The folder with question mark means that there is no OS installed on the HDD (which I'm sure you already knew). It's strange that the disk isn't coming up with what you are using, as normally that should bring it up AFAIK.
    Could you perhaps tell us whether or not the iMac is using an internal Superdrive or an external superdrive? Something could be wrong with the Superdrive its self but it seems unlikely.
    If you have another computer lying around and a big enough USB drive you could create a bootable disk using that DVD and try to see if the iMac will recognise that. I've linked a tutorial down below - hopefully this could work for you :)
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/ap...how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-to-install-os-x/
    Hope this helps!