New Haswell Macbook Pro 15" running hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dwmsuh, Nov 3, 2013.

1. dwmsuh macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have owned the new retina for about a week now, and i've noticed that it runs hot if I use it for about 20-25 minutes. When I have it on my lap, it gets a little bit warm, but if I leave it on my sofa (leather) or my bed (cotton) it gets extremely hot after about 10-15 minutes and the fan starts running.

I'm not running anything intense at all, just web browsing, and reading articles and the occasional youtube videos.

If someone can help me figure out how to measure the temperature, I'd be more than happy to put those statistics up there.

I feel like this shouldn't be a normal occurrence so I'm a little concerned..

2. punchwalk macrumors regular

Not sure if there's anything built in to OS X, but iStat is a good app for measuring temps.

3. sarakn, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Need to lay off those pr0n sites. :)

4. TigerMe macrumors member

SMCFanControl - best app you can get. Free and allows you to control the fans so you can get it to the temp you like. I use it on all my macs and it works perfectly. No issues.

5. fitgirl macrumors 6502

fitgirl

I've been watching Netflix for over an hr and so far I've had no heating issues at all just feels very slightly warm more on the cool side.

6. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Not really...

It gets a little, emphasis on "little" warm in heavy usage. Then again, I'm coming from my late 2006 MBP 2.3 Ghz which routinely got hot enough to leave minor burns on my legs :p

7. Not That Future macrumors newbie

Exactly where I'm coming from. It started to seriously concern me how hot it would get. My new rMBP is as quiet/cold as ice!

8. dwmsuh thread starter macrumors newbie

what type of surface do you have your computer on when you were watching netflix?

9. GGJstudios, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Be sure you're not blocking the vents, located along the sides and in the back near the hinge.

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.
    The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)
    Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.
    It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.
    Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis), or 1200 for the newest MBAs. Older iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range, while the newest iMacs have a single fan, spinning at a minimum of about 1400 rpm. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)
    The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best. For Flash-related issues:

10. toneLA macrumors regular

My bet is that you block the vents located on each side of the palm rest at the bottom of the case. That's a common issue with slim designs. Considering how low profile the rMBP is, that's probably what happens when you put it on your bed or even sofa. Being soft surfaces, the weight of the laptop is probably enough. Make sure it has enough room to breathe. Hope this helps!

11. fitgirl macrumors 6502

fitgirl

I have it sitting either on top of hard surface or sometimes my lap.

12. pat.micunnis macrumors regular

What are the components that are directly underneath the left and right palm rests (does the battery run the entire width of the lower body?).

[​IMG]

I have PhotoShop open (so dGPU is running). NOTES: ignore the battery life -- it fluctuates (it's not too accurate). I get readings closer to 2:35 / 50%.

Attached Files:

13. sabbyp macrumors regular

the only time mine gets hot and the fans kick in is after about 15-20 minutes of gaming, which is to be expected

14. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Those are batteries yes. They run all along the palm rests.

15. ianj1972 macrumors member

hmmm, making me worried mine is running way too hot now! :( If you are idling with a 106degF, Im seeing in a 2.3Ghz i7 15" a CPU digital reading via istat menus of 55degCelcius.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's quite normal. Nothing to worry about.

17. willph macrumors newbie

I tried to DL istatpro, but the link from apple's widget page says unavailable :(

18. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

Google search for it, and direct download it and then you should see it in Launchpad.

19. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

You are probably blocking the vents.

20. koban4max macrumors 68000

what do you expect? It's a HOT item.

21. snkrll macrumors newbie

According to OP the system only gets hot when sitting on a soft surface. That is not a surprise since the cotton/leather surface will wrap around the bottom of the MPB, block the fan intakes and reduce cooling efficiency.

22. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Just return it and save your money !

There is a real dilemma here.

My last seven - yes seven, 15" rMB's of late 2012 and early 2013 have all ran extremely HOT just sitting there browsing web and watching minimal videos, just trailers or previews of documentaries on various sites with video heavy content. Fans would literally roar and rev up near 1 minute into small videos, until you shut it down. It would be really, really hot to the touch and sites would glitch and lag and jump and such.

I have a home made stand / pedestal to prop up the rMB and so it has every opportunity to get sufficient air flow.

The heat issue is very true, every time I've brought it into the store everyone behind that counter encouraged me to return it and always got me a new upgraded one, until finally I just sold them and saved all my money.