New HD and transfer of files from Old

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phineas, Sep 10, 2009.

1. phineas macrumors regular

phineas

Hello

I am upgrading the HD
    on my UMBP to a 500 gig Scorpio Blue , and putting the original one in the case which is USB only, NO firewire only USB.

What would be the best method for transferring my information from the old to the new?

I did do a search here on the forums but did not find anything that really hit the nail on the head so to speak.

Thanks ahead of time
    Phineas

2. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Try running Migration Assistant in /Applications/Utilities.

3. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

A better option might be to temporarily hook up an external HD via USB 2.0 and do a Time Machine backup to it.

Then put the new drive in the MBP and boot off the Install DVD. Do a Time Machine restore.

OR... use CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) or SuperDuper! to clone the data from your old HD to your new HD (mounted externally in USB 2.0 enclosure), then try a test boot off the external HD to make sure it works.

4. phineas thread starter macrumors regular

phineas

Transfering files

I was going to partition part of the current drive and make a time machine backup , than when I install the new drive and put the old in a USB case and do a restore from the time machine backup.

What I do NOT want to happen is bring over unnecessary files, in other words I want MS Office and other applications brought over but I want to keep a clean install, instead of a messy copy and paste so to say.

I am also wondering if I should have gotten the FW case from OWC instead of USB alone, Something just tells me it would have been smarter for down the road.

Does Super Duper allow me to select say all the applications only to bring over, I have never used this application before