New HD; Any recommendations?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mcapanelli, Dec 9, 2010.

1. mcapanelli macrumors regular

mcapanelli

Hello all,

Well the time has come to change the Hard Drive in my late 2009 MAcbook. Seems that 250GB got filled up much faster then I expected and I'm left with only 40 GB or so. With that I'd like to swap out to old drive for either a 320 or 500 GB one. but I"m not sure exactly which drive to buy and what exactly will fit. The advice from the members of this forum has been invaluable to me in the past so here I am again. What would you all recommend? Thanks for your time and input in advance.

2. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

Newegg has a great promotion on a 640GB 5400RPM WD drive for $60 shipped. Other than that, my only warning is that Seagate has known issues with several of its recent drives.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I will second the recommendation of the previous post. WD is a good manufacturer, and that's a really good deal, so I'd check that out. In general though, you need a 2.5" drive with a SATA connection, and that's basically your only limitation.

4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

other option...a nice fast ssd drive and a external usb drive for files

could get a nice 60 gig OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G from newegg for $140

5. vukmaxim macrumors member

vukmaxim

WD 5000 BEKT
    or
    WD 3200 BEKT
    Regards

:cool:

6. mcapanelli thread starter macrumors regular

mcapanelli

This is an intriguing idea to me. Can the MB I have support an SSD with it's local drivers or would I have to boot from an external and download them? The only problem I'd see is that I need the space because I"m usually carrying around large files for work and an external would be just one more thing to carry on the subway. Still the idea of having an SSD, for the speed factor alone, does pique my interest.

As for the WD, while it IS a great deal, it seem to be sold out at newegg. I'll check tigerdirect and macmall and see if they come close. I'm also heading to microcenter soon so I'll check there as well. Thanks again for all the advice. This community has helped me through some tough Mac related troubles and never let me down. You all are the best!!

7. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Thanks for this, I too, like OP was hard drive shopping, my 500Gb is nearly full!

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This. WD has never done me wrong.