New HD, Can't Install OS

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dsnort, Feb 29, 2008.

1. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I just installed a new HD in an iBook Clamshell. Everything went fine until I tried to install the OS. When I got to the point where you select the destination for your install, the new HD didn't show. Figured it probably came with a Windows format so I opened Disk Utility, erased the disk and re-formatted to Mac OS Extended ( Journaled ), and partioned. Now when I go back to the Installer, it see's the disk, but won't let install on it. It tells me I can't install to this volume because my computer can't start from there.

I know it's something simple I'm missing, but I can't figure it out.

By the way, I'm installing 10.3 Panther.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

When you're trying to install to a brand-new drive in Panther, you need to restart between the original formatting of the drive and attempting to select it to install. :)

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

What partition map did you select? I'm pretty sure you want to use GUID or Apple.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Also, since it is a Clamshell iBook, make sure you install OS 9 drivers for the disc, otherwise you won't be able to use Classic Apps.

And, yes you will have to restart between formatting and installation.

TEG

5. dsnort thread starter macrumors 68000

dsnort

Ah, never mind. It just needed a reboot after reformat.

EDIT. Thanks folks.

TEG, on the reformat it had an option to install OS9 disk drive. It said that was necessary to run OS 9, but that it wouldn't effect "Classic Environment", which I took to mean I could run classic apps. Was I wrong?

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I've always installed the drivers (which can always be done later) because Classic is Running OS9, and some Classic Apps need HD access, and can't see drives without drivers installed.

TEG