new HD data on time machine back up

Discussion in 'iMac' started by newcoyote, May 25, 2015.

1. newcoyote macrumors newbie

I have a iMac 21.5 late 2012
    Yosemite 10.10.3
    2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Recently the HD packed it in. I have an authorized, reputable service tech replacing it with a 3 party manufacturer replacement (yes we know about the sensor concern and have addressed that). I have all my data backed up on an external HD using Time Machine. When I get the computer back with the new HD, what do I do? I mean I don't know how the new HD is formatted or how I will instruct it to copy the data to the new drive if there is no OS on it. This may sound dumb because there is a lot of dumb taking up space in my head. So if you could please explain in simple language, I would be very appreciative.

2. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

AFAIK, you do a recovery from the internet (CMD + R at startup), let Yosimite get installed, then during setup copy the files back from the TM drive. There is an option "setup as new Mac" or restore files from PC or TM. Should be straightforward. See also:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Attach the TM drive then hold the option key when you boot and select the TM disk as the boot source. That will get you to a recovery screen where you can use Disk Util to erase the disk to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Util and click restore. That's it.