New HD for 2GHz Core Duo Confusion

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Raethorm, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Raethorm macrumors newbie

I am looking at upgrading the HD in my black 13" Macbook that I purchased a few years back, however I am running into confusion and need to ask for help. :confused: I am still very new to Macs, so allow me to apologize now. ;)

I started by searching for a HD on the web, but ran into my first problem with most sites asking for specific's: what year, processor speeds, and something to do with an alpha numeric ID like MB6#######(something like this) I assume these sites are asking because certain years/models etc can only support specific drives? Also, some sites sold Apple specific HD's that were not Apple only sites, where some sites who were Apple specific sold ones that were not Apple specific too. Do I need an Apple specific HD or can I use any? :confused:

Secondly, I searched for more info on what to do next and I found this site, http://www.blackmacbook.com/ and it says I can only use up to a 200gig HD in my MacBook, but was hoping to get one much larger. By doing more reading on other sites, including this one, I see people using larger ones and now I am even more confused.:confused: Is the 200gig HD the largest one I am able to upgrade to? What do I need to know about cache speeds and what can my laptop handle?

Lastly, how/where do I go to find about specific information on my MacBook? :apple:>about this mac>more info didn't have all the information some of the websites where listing as things I needed to know to be specific enough to select what I was able to upgrade to.

If there is anything that is needed to know to help you help me, please let me know; and for anyone who is willing to put time into helping me, allow me to say thank you very much ahead of time. :D

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Finding Model: Click Here

Finding a hard drive: Click Here (down near the bottom of the page along with installation videos)

Note: The only size restriction that you have is the dimensions of the hard drive. It needs to be a 2.5" wide SATA drive with a maximum height of 9.5mm. The storage space (in GB's) is only limited by how large the manufacturers are producing the drives that are in those dimensions. Currently that is 750GB I believe.