New hd for Mid 2009 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macnerd77, Mar 1, 2012.

1. macnerd77 macrumors regular

macnerd77

2. simsaladimbamba

3. lamboman macrumors 6502

Yes. However, you will be restricted to SATA II speeds. I'd look for a cheaper SATA II alternative, unless you'll be upgrading the system soon, in which case I'd look at the Crucial m4 as well. That said, I don't know of the prices in the US at all, so I can't really comment on whether or not the m4 will be cheaper.

The drive you have selected is a Sandforce based drive. While they are fast, reliability has been an issue for them; they are far better now than they were before thanks to a firmware update, but a fair share of people still have been experiencing the same issues after this update.

4. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Just ordered a 512GB Crucial M4 for my mid-2009 13" MBP ... feeling smug :)

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Your guide states nothing about the EFI 1.7 update issue that never seemed to get resolved. Is this still an issue?

6. simsaladimbamba

Sorry, I haven't kept the guide up to date regarding EFI update issues. Can you elaborate, maybe I can add it?

I am more into those nifty video guides now as it seems, though I did one about Activity Monitor some days ago. I am a guide whore. Maybe I need guidance?

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This was one of many threads on the issue:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=729883&page=8

I mainly want to know if I can just install a Momentus 500GB in my 5,5 MPB when I’m at the 1.7 firmware. Lots of people had issues.

8. simsaladimbamba

Thanks. Will take a look at it.

That I can't answer, as I haven't researched that topic, as I don't have any problems with my Seagate Momentus (NOT XT) in my 2009 MBP.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don’t want an XT. So you have a Momentus 500GB in a mid-2009 MBP? Same model as mine?

10. simsaladimbamba

I have the ST9500420AS HDD, but I don't see any firmware entry under that listing.
    My SMC version is 1.42f4 and I run 10.6.8.
    The HDD is in the HDD bay, but it is used as data drive, as my OS is on an SSD in my OptiBay adapter.

And when I bought the HDD over two years ago, I explicitly stated I wanted the non-G-Force version, which I didn't check back then as it seems, and now I find out I have the drive I don't wanted. But it doesn't give me any grieve, so what.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What’s your Boot ROM Version?

12. simsaladimbamba

mbp52.008e.b05

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That’s an early 2009, 17 inch model. All of this seemed to only affect the mid-2009.

14. davidlv macrumors 65816

I have the same computer:
    System info:
    MacBookPro5,4
    MBP53.00AC.B03
    2.53 GHz
    Serial-ATA:
    NVidia MCP79 AHCI:
    Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
    Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
    Hitachi HTS725050A9A364: 500GB HDD

And I have no issues now with the FW 1.7. Previously the system was also fine running a Seagate Momentous 500 GB (non-sensor, non-XT version).
    I only changed to the Hitachi out of curiosity (Seagate was running fine) and I was not about to open up the machine again, as the Hitachi also worked fine.
    You should be OK with the Seagate, but as shown in the long thread on the firmware issue, many people had issues, so if it doesn't work well, try a different HD. The Link Speed and Negotiated Link Speed should both be at 3G.
    Be careful with the rather fragile SATA cable when you do the HD swap.