New HD for my Macbook Pro

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
I am thinking of picking up one of the HITACHI Travelstar 7K200 200 GB hd's for my MacBook Pro. Getting HD's installed on PowerBooks was easy - just a swap out.

With the new Intels there is that 200MB EFI partition. Can I just swap the HD out and install Leopard straight on from the DVD? Does Leopard have the efi for MacBook Pro's onboard.

Another thing I was thinking of was to get an external firewire case and make a clone of the boot drive and then just swap it in.

What are my options?

aussie_geek

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I am thinking of picking up one of the HITACHI Travelstar 7K200 200 GB hd's for my MacBook Pro. Getting HD's installed on PowerBooks was easy - just a swap out.

With the new Intels there is that 200MB EFI partition. Can I just swap the HD out and install Leopard straight on from the DVD? Does Leopard have the efi for MacBook Pro's onboard.

Another thing I was thinking of was to get an external firewire case and make a clone of the boot drive and then just swap it in.

What are my options?

aussie_geek
I would go for option 2, leaves you with a nice bus powered external storage solution.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.