Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Hi everyone

I want to replace the HDD of my new MPR 13' (really happy with this). I want to buy a 320 or 500 GB HDD but i want to maintain the quality of the default HDD: silent and low temperatures. Of course I also like it to be fast, but I prefer the two above mentioned quality. What I suggested to buy? someone has already tried to replace it? it's a simple operation?

Thanks a lot

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
From the disassembly of fixit I have one thing not clear. on Manual of the MacBook Pro (from Apple) it seems that there is no need to remove the battery to change the disk. Instead of images of iFixit this thing is not clear ... if someone knows you must remove the battery?

qpid

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2004
From the disassembly of fixit I have one thing not clear. on Manual of the MacBook Pro (from Apple) it seems that there is no need to remove the battery to change the disk. Instead of images of iFixit this thing is not clear ... if someone knows you must remove the battery?

Do not have to remove the battery, ifixit just is showing how to completely disassemble the unit

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
If you can afford it go SSD. Even with the 1.5 SATA cap its still worth. Most people won't hit that limit. I just installed 4GB of RAM(OWC) and a 128GB SSD Kingston. Its now a screamer. It boots up at around 20 seconds and you don't have anymore spinning wheel. Also, no you don't remove the battery. You will have about 8 screws and 3 of them will be longer than the rest. Make sure you keep up where those go. The rest is straight forward but you shouldn't even have to touch the battery.

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Unfortunately I can't afford a SSD. For sure I also upgrade to 4GB of RAM when i open MBP for change HDD. I think that the right choose is Samsung Spin point or WD scorpio blue....is a good choice? thanks

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Unfortunately I can't afford a SSD. For sure I also upgrade to 4GB of RAM when i open MBP for change HDD. I think that the right choose is Samsung Spin point or WD scorpio blue....is a good choice? thanks

I would go with a 7200RPM Western Digital drive. To me their isnt any noise difference between a 5400RPM drive and a 7200RPM drive. That's just me though. You should be able to pick up a good 500GB 7200RPM HD for $145 or so. Check out http://www.owcomputing.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.