New HD for PB G4 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danakm, Jul 17, 2008.

1. danakm macrumors regular

danakm

My old trusty (which I don't plan to change until I absolutely have to) Aluminium PowerBook G4 15" is giving impending HD failure signals, so I'll be replacing it asap.

I'm torn between the 250.0GB Western Digital "Scorpio" 5400RPM 9.5MM SuperSlim IDE Notebook Drive with 8MB Data buffer (WDGWD2500BEVE) and the 160.0GB Hitachi/IBM Travelstar 5K160 5400RPM 8MB Data Buffer ATA/7 9.5mm UltraSlim 2.5 (HIT0A28419). The first because of the size, of course, and the second because I've heard fairly good things about Hitachi. I was almost decided on the second, but someone has made me doubt again, so...

What would you suggest? Any input is appreciated :confused:

Also, for the installing when it arrives... will this spudger and this screwdriver set do the trick or do I need anything else?

Thanks in advance :D

2. Mindcrime13 macrumors member

both are good, it really depends on how many storage you need!, the tools seem about right!

good luck!

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I went for the WD Scorpio cause I had some bad experiences with IBM/Hitachi, mostly reliability issues. So far, the WD Scorpio has been faultless and it's nice and quiet!!

4. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Those are both good drives. I personally used the western digital in that size as well and chose it because it was a good price and had great ratings. Very quiet drive, and has my thumbs us.

I am not sure what that other tool you linked is for (that stick looking one) and since I didn't use it, I am not sure if it is actually needed. I personally got this handy little tool to deal with the torx screws, and it has served me for many mac related projects and etc.

5. danakm thread starter macrumors regular

danakm

How long have you had this drive? ('cause I'm definitely leaning towards this now :))

6. danakm thread starter macrumors regular

danakm

How long have you've been using it?
    I would really appreciate a quiet one **nods** and the storage capacity is really great :eek:

And that tool was small enough for all the torx screws? I ask because I really like it. Definitely looks very practical :cool:

7. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

WOW!!! That... PB G4 of yours... it's amazing... it can run Leopard 10.5.4!!! And yet... LOOK AT THAT CLOCK SPEED!!! 1.25MHz!!!:p

8. danakm thread starter macrumors regular

danakm

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

9. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I put it in my macbook and it has served me well for the last 7 months I would say before I sold it.

The tool works great. I am not sure which size the hdd caddy uses..I remember T8 for some reason. Could be wrong.

ANyway just google torx hdd caddy size and you can find out if the tool has the right size. But just know that is the only tool I have for mac projects and well..I completed them didn't I? :p

10. danakm thread starter macrumors regular

danakm

I think I'll be getting that one **nods** :D

I found a guide and you're right. It is the T8, so I guess I'll be getting that tool too :D

Thanks a lot for the advice :)