New HD for Updated White Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macMonte, Jan 25, 2009.

1. macMonte macrumors newbie

I love everything about the recently updated white macbook. I'm a video guy, so I'm willing to take the slower RAM in exchange for firewire 400. My only gripe....5400rpm hard drive.

Has anyone out there put a 7200rpm hard drive in the white macbook? Does anyone have a drive to recommend? Is there anything I should worry about?

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

3. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

For the exact same price, hard drive size, cache size, and RPM, one should buy this Western Digital drive instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280

Just compare the number of positive user reviews for the Western Digital drive. Seagate's quality control has dropped significantly in the last few years. One of the biggest blunders in Apple's recent history was choosing one of Seagate's 120GB drives for their white MacBook. Virtually all of those drives are doomed to failure. Dead drives where data recovery was an impossibility. Don't ever buy a Seagate drive. If you care about reliability, buy the Western Digital drive instead.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I have the WD Scorpio Black and I'm very happy with it. I have it in my MacBook 1,1 (May '06) model.

And did you notice that it has a 5 year warranty as opposed to 3 year on the seagate.

5. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I have a white Macbook and mine has a Fujitsu drive. So not ALL of the white Macbooks have Seagate drives. Besides, I have a Seagate 200GB 7200 RPM in my Mini (and it came with a 60GB Seagate) and neither has been any problem at all. I am usually for Seagate myself, as they typically have a 5 year warranty. However, I see the Seagate in question only has a 3 year versus the WD's 5 year (must be because its OEM, but the WD is OEM, too). In this case, I 'd say get the WD - but only for the extra warranty, as I have had NO issues with Seagate myself (no more than normal, at least).

6. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

I've always been partial to Seagate because of their 5 yr warranty. However, WD does just as good of a job.