New HD - Help Installing OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JCPH, Aug 22, 2007.

1. JCPH macrumors member

Hello all,

Before I begin with yet another question, I want to thank those of you who have helped me thus far with my HD. However, I do have another question...

I'll be receiving my new HD (Seagate Momentus 7200.1 ST910021A 100GB ATA-100) tomorrow and need some guidance on how to get OS X up and running on my new HD.

Is it as easy as inserting a CD? Would that CD have come with my machine (PowerBook G4 1.67GHz Alum.) or when I bought the latest OS?

Thank you! All input and advice is appreciated!

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

If you purchased Tiger after you bought your Powerbook, you will want to install Tiger from CD ( it is super easy and smooth).

Some steps after your recieve your new drive.

If possible copy your entire user and application folder over to an external drive (off of your old internal drive, before having it removed). I don't know the history of your issues, but if your old drive is dead, I guess you can skip this :) .

1. Install Tiger off of the DVD
    2. copy your old Doccuments, or other needed files over from your old user folder.
    3. Grab your install disks that came with your Powerbook, and install bundled applications (this should be on disk 1)
    4. Upgrade Tiger to the current version (including your bundled apps)
    5. Go to your old applicaion folder and drag over any applications that you installed outside of the normal bundled applications.

You may have a few missed items, but that is why it is good to have a backup copy of your old home folder, and application folder.

3. JCPH thread starter macrumors member

My old HD is completely fried. So I'll be installing everything from scratch.

It is possible to start up OS X off of the Tiger DVD (even though my mac came with Panther)?

If I'm following you right, it's as simple as putting in the (1) Tiger DVD for the OS, and (2) DVD that came with my mac to get the bundled apps?

Are bundled apps not already on the Tiger DVD (it's been so long since I originally installed it)? Also, does inserting that second DVD trigger a "walk-through" process or do I have to transfer apps manually?

Thanks,

JCPH

4. JCPH thread starter macrumors member

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Both the restore disks, and your Tiger DVD are bootable.

An other approach may be to setup your systems from the system restore disks, then install Tiger afterwards. Since you have no old files to copy over, this way may get you what you need more quickly.

Obviously you will need to do the software upgrades afterwards.