New HD help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nickster9224, Jan 16, 2009.

1. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

today i will be installing a 320gb hd in my macbook 1st gen. i am running leopard. so will i be able to install leopard on the new drive then run time machine to restore all the content onto that drive?

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I think that should work. But let someone else come in and agree with me before you do anything. I've never used Time Machine to do this. Instead, I used Super Duper to clone my new hard drive and from there installed it into my machine.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You don't even need to install Leopard. After you put in your new drive, boot to your Leopard Install Disk. Next, Format/Partition/Name your new HD from the Utility Menu using Disk Utility on the Leopard Install Disk. Then go back to the Utility Menu and go to Restore System from Backup , point to your Time Machine Drive (which needs to be attached), select the backup that you want which is probably your most recent one, and select the destination - your new drive.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yes, you'll be able to do this just fine. Install Leopard onto your new drive and choose to restore from backup during the installation. I've done this with mine and it's worked great. As MarkMS suggested, you could use SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner to make an exact duplicate of your drive, but you'll need an external enclosure if you don't already have one. Also, my experience with SuperDuper! actually fragmented the drive and made things run slower (which is why I was forced to do a Time Machine restore). I've heard others recommend Carbon Copy Cloner instead of SuperDuper! as it doesn't fragment the drive, but I can't back this up with evidence.

5. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

I did exactly the same as you, with a 320GB drive too.

As well as buying a new HDD, i bought a HDD USB caddy, so i just put my new hdd in the caddy, and told Carbon Copy cloner to clone the Mac HD to the Caddy HD.

Took HD out of caddy, swapped over the HDD's in my MacBook, all fine! It did for a split second show the folder with a question mark in it, but that literally went in a split second when it found leopard.

The only warning i would give with this is that it messes up your Boot Camp partition so if your running windows you may have problems there and may need to re-install.

6. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

boot to leopard dvd, click utilities, time machine, plug ur backup drive, select it, restore.